The HKAC offers its own study tours to the United States in January and summer each year. We also assist our member universities in designing and carrying their faculty-led study tours.
Our programs have a strong thematic focus. We advocate travel with a learning purpose, to encounter the world up close and personal, meeting local people of all kinds and seeing the world from their vantage points. This also makes us aware that we see the world from our own vantage points here in HK. Travel for learning is an important part of a liberal education.
Where are you going in January? The HKAC offers two study tours, one hot and one cold, expressively designed for students between semesters of their Hong Kong universities.
- Travel Seminar on Iowa Caucuses, January 5 to 18, 2020: You can go to Iowa in the American Midwest for an up-close and personal view of the national candidates and their campaigns to win the Democratic caucuses. Drake University, located in the state capital of Des Moines, will be CNN’s headquarters for covering the statewide caucuses. We’ll be there too, watching how Iowans select the person they want to go against Trump in the elections of 2020. How do caucuses work? Join us for this front-row seat on democracy in America!
- Migration & Border Studies Tour to California & Arizona, December 28, 2019, to January 10, 2020: Or you could go to the warm flowering desert of Arizona in winter to study the issue of immigration on the American border with Mexico and Central America. Our base will be the University of Arizona in Tucson. We will study this cross-border migration from all sides: the federal and state agents at the border, the migrants and asylum seekers who have crossed into the USA, and local residents who support or oppose Trump’s get-tough policy on immigrants. We’ll join with American students coming to the border to study this most controversial domestic issue. The Program will end with a visit to Los Angeles and Hollywood, seeing how immigration has been portrayed in American film. (To register please click here)
The HKAC will offer three study tours for HK university students to the US in the Summer of 2020. They are:
1. New York: Global City of Local Neighborhoods – May 24-June 7, 2020
2. Washington DC: American Government and the 2020 Elections – June 8-20, 2020
3. Seattle and Vancouver (Cascadia): Ecology and Technology in American Northwest (Seattle, WA, and Vancouver, BC)
4. Los Angeles: Business of the Arts in America
Please stay updated on more information and application deadlines of the various programs!