Internships in the United States: Global Career Launch
The HKAC partners with Cultural Vistas, an exchange NGO in New York, to organize summer internships for undergraduate students from Hong Kong and the mainland since 2007. From 2007 to 2015 we sent over 400 students to Seattle, Chicago, San Francisco, and Washington DC for six to eight-week internships in businesses and NGOs.
In 2015, we are happy to assist university students in preparing US internship visa. If participants were able to secure a placement which is relevant to what they have learned in school, we will assist in the process of visa application. In the process, students will also confidence and independence in the starting from the preparing and application process.
Features of the program are listed below:
- Students could work with the host and decide the working start date (internship during should not longer than 3 months but not shorter than 2 months).
- Students are required to arrange their own placement and housing.
- Placement should be relevant to the student’s academic background or relevant experience.
- HKAC and Cultural Vistas will help students to arrange visa application when the placement is confirmed and valid.
- Cultural Vistas will provide local assistance to the students whenever is needed.
- Student Status: Applicants must be a registered full-time student attending an accredited university outside the United States at the time of application.
- Age: 20-26
- University Major: All specializations and majors are encouraged to apply.
- Language Requirements: Applicants must have a strong working knowledge of English for use in professional work environments. Applicants are required to provide IELTS or TOFEL results to prove his/her English language capabilities.
- Passport/Visa: All applicants must hold a passport valid at least until March 2017.
- If you want to start the placement in May, please confirm your placement and submit your application by January.
- If you want to start the placement in June, please confirm your placement and submit your application by February.
- Please send an email to Ms. Ginny Tam at email@example.com when your placement is confirmed. Ms. Tam will assist you in the application process.
- Around HK$17,590 (for 2-3 months internship). The actual cost subjects for the duration of the internship.
- The fee only includes placement verification and visa application. Air-tickets, housing, and other local transportation shall be arranged by the participants.
Students are expected to secure their own placement as soon as possible and submit the application by January 2016.
You are strongly recommended to talk to Ms. Ginny Tam before you submit the application. Please contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org. The application procedure will be provided through email.
HKETO Internship Program
Spend next summer in one of America’s great cities. Learn-by-doing in a company or NGO related to your academic major. Be a person-to-person ambassador for HK in the US. Build your international work experience into a strong advantage as you step beyond the university into the global world of work.
Students at the eight universities funded by the University Grants Committee, who are permanent residents in HK, are invited to apply for a unique experiential learning program of 3-8 weeks duration between May and September 2017 in New York City, Washington DC or San Francisco. As representatives of the HKSAR government in America, the HKETOs have kindly arranged for American organizations in their cities to host interns from HK universities in a wide range of fields. As a partner organization for this project, the HKAC is facilitating the application process in HK and is able to assist with general enquiries, e.g. visa-related issue.
Students must cover the costs of roundtrip airfare to the US, visa fee, and their room & board while in the US. Some interns may receive a stipend by the host organization, but others may not. Most universities provide financial assistance to students for internships overseas that enhance their academic programs. These internships under the HKETO internship program are not credit-bearing.
Further details about the HKETOs internship program in America (including job specifications of those internship opportunities) are on the HKAC website: www.hk-ac.org.hk If you are interested in any of the internship placements, please fill in the “Student Information” form and submit it to the appropriate contact person at your university. Please refer to the application deadline of your own institution.
Below please find the contact person at your university:
|HKUST||Ms. Alice Yeung||Career Centre, Student Affairs Officeemail@example.com|
|HKU||Ms. Elisa Yu||Careers and Placement, Centre of Development and Resources for Studentsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|CUHK||Ms. Rachel Li||Career Planning and Development Centre, Office of Student Affairsemail@example.com|
|HKBU||Ms. Yvonne Ho||Career Centre, Office of Student Affairsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|PolyU||Ms. Doris Cheng||Office of Careers and Placement Servicesemail@example.com|
|EduU||Ms. Natalie Yu||Student Affairs Officefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|CityU||Career and Leadership Centre||Student Development Servicesemail@example.com|
|LU||Ms. Sara Chow||Student Services Centrefirstname.lastname@example.org|
If you are recommended through the review process at your university and in the US, you may be asked for a phone/skype interview with your potential host organization in the US. Final placement decisions can be expected in April. Departures for the US would occur after you complete your exams in May or June. Students will be back in HK in time for the start of the fall semester.The contact person at the HKAC is Ms. Pauline Lau (Email: email@example.com; Phone: 3943-8748).
Make a city in American one of YOUR cities of the world. Start your global career with a practicum experience in an American organization that wants to deepen its relationships with Hong Kong. Follow a path of adventure in learning and personal growth. Head to America this summer!